Tuesday, May 18, 2010

off the record

1984
1986
tomato, tomato...
I went record shopping last weekend and found Talk Show by the Go-Go's. I used to have this on cassette and have always loved the cover art. As I slid the liner notes out, a handful of magazine clippings fell out, as well as a concert ticket. I remember begging my mom to let me go to this show at the Greek Theatre back in 1984. She said no.

Next I found Different Light by The Bangles. I checked inside the record and saw that there were magazine clippings and concert tickets too. Prince showed up at this concert at the Warfield in 1986 and joined the girls onstage for Manic Monday. This album also has a sweet rendition of September Gurls. After Alex Chilton recently passed away, I read the royalties he got from having that song on The Bangles album bought him a house and allowed him to quit his job as a dishwasher in New Orleans.

No comments:

Post a Comment